Friday, August 21, 2009

Day 13: Brooklyn

I think Brooklyn is my favorite borough of New York. I remember when I first moved to New York I had to be in Brooklyn for my very first nursing clinical. It may seem silly now, but I was absolutely terrified! I was just getting used to living in Manhattan and now I had to venture to another borough? But once I found my way there I realized, it isn't all that bad and I started to realize why people loved it there so much. I mean my friend just visited New York and she named her new dog Brooklyn. How cool is that!! Even Posh Spice and David Beckham named one of their sons after the beloved borough.

I will never forget when I was hanging out with my friends in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and my mom called. I was out a little late and I told her, "Hey Mom, I am in Brooklyn". Her voice was incredulous! She replied, "You are in BROOKLYN!!" I could see images from "Good Fellas" flashing in her mind. Williamsburg is one of those neighborhoods in Brooklyn that has undergone a face lift (aka gentrification). It used to be a rough neighborhood but it is now home to many hipsters (skinny jeans wearing, whole foods shopping young people). We laugh about that night now. For me, that night stands out as a growing time for me. I was stepping out of my comfort zone and spreading my wings as a newbie New Yorker. And boy did it feel good to stretch my wings and fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment