Sunday, August 23, 2009

Day 15: Change


I finally took the big leap and chopped my sisterlocks into a chin length bob. On Saturday, I took some before pictures and went to Khamit Kinks in Brooklyn for a consultation. I was hoping that the salon would not be too busy and that they would take me before I changed my mind. My mom can tell you, I have vacilated back and forth about my hair since last December (I kid you not!). But I found my way to Brooklyn on that soggy, Saturday afternoon and after getting turned around it seemed like Khamit Kinks just ended up appearing at the end of a block that was undergoing construction. An African woman greeted me and ushered me into her station. I explained the various lengths of my hair and the breakage that had occurred. Then she looked at me and said, "Do you want to just cut it now?". I shook my head yes and before I knew it my sisterlocks were tumbling to the floor.

It is funny, but locs hold a lot of history. Even after my haircut was done, my hairdresser carefuly scooped the chopped hair up into a bag and handed it to me like she was handing me my own personal history book. I emerged feeling lighter. I am so glad that I took the plunge, change really is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment