Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Day 9: Favorite Books

I walked past this bookstore in the West Village and it got me thinking. I remember how I used to love to read. Even when I was going through undergraduate school at San Francisco State I would read books for pleasure. I just love the fact that you can travel in your mind when you are reading. During the summer months, I especially love mysteries or suspense novels. Right now I am reading the "Twilight" series. I also have the Secret Life of Bees and The Burn Journals on my list to balance out my non-literary (but very fun) reading. So in honor of books and all things literary here is my top five books:
Top Five Books:
1. Giovanni's room by James Baldwin
2. 100 Love Sonnets by Pablo Neruda
3. The Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
4. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
5. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

3 comments:

  1. Rashida,
    Sharing my all-time favorite books in no order of preference. Each one of them resonated with me at the time I read them. Each one celebrates the fortitude and courage of my people.

    "Black Profiles in Courage: A Legacy of African-American Achievement" by Kareem Abdul Jabbar
    "Roots" by Alex Haley
    "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou
    "A Lesson Before Dying" by Ernest Gaines
    "Makes Me Wanna Holler: A Young Black Man in America" by Nathan McCall
    "A Lawyer's Life" by Johnnie Cochran

    Vonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I made a grammar error. Should read .... "Each one of them resonated with me at the time I read it."

    Bad mistake for a proofreader.

    Vonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vonnie,

    I am going to have to add some of those titles to my book list. Thanks for sharing. I think next on my list will be "Makes Me wanna Holler"

    ReplyDelete